Confederate Memorial Hall, originally named Bleak House, has a rich and interesting past. This is a brief history of this warm and wonderful mansion...
Bleak House in 1858
Bleak House now
Drawing in Tower: “Men that were shot up here”
Homemade blockade anchor and chain – 1863
Read more about the anchor and the Battle of Knoxville at these links:
Adobe Acobat Reader Required - Download for free:
A sad story
Historical marker on front lawn
its owners and visitors were
Bleak House, an antebellum mansion of fifteen spacious rooms and wide halls, stands well back on an eminence among lovely trees and elaborately landscaped grounds. The property fronts 250 feet on Kinston Pike and extends over 900 feet in terraced gardens down to Fort Loudon Lake (Tennessee River).